Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Etsy Alchemy

Alchemy - 
1. a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metal into gold, the discovery of a universal cure of disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life
2. a power or process of transforming something common into something special
3. an inexplicable or mysterious transmuting


Etsy has a particular section of their shop that is devoted to custom pieces. If a buyer would like purchase a specific custom item then they can submit their request along with example pictures, description, ideal price and even materials. Sellers then review the listing and place a "bid" if they are interested in creating the item. They list any additional information as well as estimated cost and estimated completion date.  They call this section of their site "Alchemy"...I'm thinking it's because of part "2" of the definition. 

Um....how awesome is that?!? And how did I not know about this until now?? Miss Powder Puff on Weddingbee posted about using this service through Etsy and that's what started me on my Alchemy journey. I instantly created a listing request for wedding invitations specifying what I'm looking for, along with picture examples...of course ;) And guess what?? I've already gotten back over 10 responses...and I only posted about an hour and a half ago!! Can you believe that?!? I'm so excited to see what kind of bids I get back and hopefully one of the seller's designs match what I'm looking for...at the price I'm looking for! 

Fingers Crossed :)

No comments: