Although my title should be "We Built a Bed and We Managed to Still Stay Married" :)
plans from Ana White, about $150 in lumber, a quart of stain and a quart and half of poly, several arguments, zero tears, afternoons of frustration, a few moves to Plan B, total panic and fear that we're not going to be able to fit it up our stairwell and 3 months of work later we have this. And it's GLORIOUS!!! (yes, that's an Anchorman reference) We couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. The finish looks EXACTLY the way I was hoping it would....but boy there was a lot of trial and error before we got there.
I can't wait to share all of our failures and successes we had with this project with you all (along with a budget breakdown...we spent about $250 on this when all was said and done), but that's going to be over the course of at least 3 more posts.....for now, i'm just going to enjoy our new bed and revel in the fact that WE. ACTUALLY. BUILT. IT. uhhhh, WINNING!!! :)